Ear Reshaping (Otoplasty) Recovery Time and Care
Otoplasty or ear reshaping is one of the most rewarding plastic surgery procedures for both the patient and the surgeon. Recovery from ear pinning and ear surgery is relatively simple and most otoplasty recovery is relatively quick. It is important that you follow your doctor’s instructions carefully for the best possible outcome. After the otoplasty procedure, most patients are excited to see their beautiful, new ears. However, it is important to know that there is a recovery period that patients must go through before bandages are removed. Otoplasty typically requires about 7 to 10 days for a full recovery and even after this period there is some mild residual swelling that will resolve more slowly.
Below is protocol that leads to good and predictable results:
• Typically your doctor will place a compressive bandage on the ear for 24 hours and patients are encouraged to wear a light head band (like ski band around their ears for one to two weeks.
• Typically the sutures are resorbable and do not need to be removed. Skin sutures from behind the ear are out one week after surgery
• Usually patient can do their activity of daily living. No heavy activities for few weeks.
• Keep the head cool during the recovery period, especially while bandages are being worn – avoid extreme heat and refrain from using hot blow dryers.
• Do not wash the hair with shampoo for up to one week after the surgery.
• Keep head elevated to minimize swelling – use several comfortable pillows to keep you uplifted while sleeping or resting.
• Try not to sleep on your side during recovery.
• ake any prescribed pain medication as directed to alleviate any discomfort.
• Apply any ointment directed by the doctor to the incision area, so scars heal properly and are not visible.
• Have patience – allow yourself to rest and recover from the surgery.
• Patients can go back to work in a few days.
• Generally satisfactory healing and assessment of results at 3 months. You are socially acceptable 8-10 days after your procedure when most of the acute swelling and bruising have all but dissipated. The results are very obvious quickly after surgery once the dressing is removed.
• Revisions are possible but rare.